Sabado, Enero 19, 2013

I TAUGHT MYSELF TO LIVE SIMPLY by Anna Akhmatova

I taught myself to live simply and wisely,
to look at the sky and pray to God,
and to wander long before evening
to tire my superfluous worries.
When the burdocks rustle in the ravine
and the yellow-red rowanberry cluster droops
I compose happy verses
about life's decay, decay and beauty.
I come back. The fluffy cat
licks my palm, purrs so sweetly
and the fire flares bright
on the saw-mill turret by the lake.
Only the cry of a stork landing on the roof
occasionally breaks the silence.
If you knock on my door
I may not even hear.


This poem depicts the author's realization of how beautiful nature is and how comforting it can be.  She seems to shut out the world around her, paying attention only to what is naturally there.  Her reasoning behind her turn to simple living is unclear.  It could have happened for many reasons, anything from experiencing a strong emotion such as sadness, pain, or fear to being at a time in life when she could retire or slow down to a variety of other reasons.  It is easy for readers to visualize her words and see what she is describing in their minds with little or no effort.  An example of this are the following words towards the middle of the poem, "The fluffy cat licks my palm, purrs so sweetly and the fire flares bright." These are things that most anyone can relate to, a cat purring and a fire burning.  The entire poem is easy to understand and relate to. 
#READER'S RESPONSE THEORY

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento